Google VP8 (WebM) VFW Video Codec 1.2.0
VP8 is a highly efficient video compression format released by Google that was developed by On2 Technologies. This package contains the Video For Windows driver of the Google VP8 (WebM) codec. WebM is an audio-video format designed to provide a royalty-free, high-quality open video compression format for use with HTML5 video. WebM files consist of video streams compressed with the VP8 video codec and audio streams compressed with the Vorbis audio codec. The WebM file structure is based on the Matroska media container. VP8 is an an open-source technology and developers are free to use it in any application, but the only applications that will play VP8 video inside WebM files are those that support WebM.
What's great about WebM:
- Very high quality video
- Great video playback performance, even on older computers
- 100% free and open to everyone
- Supported on popular video sites like YouTube
- Compiled with the optimized Google VP8 library
- Includes most color space conversions supported by the Xvid codec
- Uses several threads on multi-core processors
- Encoded files can fully be decoded with FFMPEG as well as VLC
- FOURCC used is VP80
Tips and information:
- To improve encoding speed, use the "Good" Quality preset
- Only works on Windows 32-bits, not on Windows 64-bits
1. Because of how the VP8 library is designed, that one more call to the library must be done to get the full statistics packets even after all frames are processed (NULL parameter of vpx_codec_encode()), therefore 2-pass encoding will not work on software that use the Video Compression Manager without setting a valid framecount using the ICM_COMPRESS_FRAMES_INFO.
The following software has been tested:
- Corel Videostudio Pro X3 -> OK in all modes.
- Adobe Premiere 2.0 -> Fails in 2-pass mode due to the above issue.
- Virtualdub 1.9.10 -> OK in all modes.
2. The libvpx library is quite slow for encoding, hence it is strongly suggested to encode using the "Good" preset quality.
What's new in this release:
- linked against libvpx 0.9.7-p1
Google VP8 (WebM) VFW Video Codec Settings
Latest version: 1.2.0 (14 Sep 2011)
System requirements: Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7
Download: vp8vfw-setup-1.2.0.exe (535 KB)
XP Codec Pack
Koepi's XviD Codec
DivX Total Pack
Cole2k Media Codec Pack
Vista Codec Package
Windows 7 Codecs
This website is Copyright © 2010 CodecPack.co